COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF THE 2023 ANNUAL GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE NIGERIA WOMEN FOOTBALL LEAGUE (NWFL) HELD ON THURSDAY 5TH OCTOBER, 2023 AT BON HOTEL & SUITES, IKEJA GRA, LAGOS STATE.
The Nigeria Women Football League held its Annual General Assembly (AGA) on Thursday 5th October, 2023 at BON Hotel, Ikeja GRA, Lagos State, and resolved as follows:
- The AGA thanked His Excellency, the Executive Governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu and the good people of Lagos State for the successful hosting of the Congress.
2. The Congress also thanked the President of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and the entire board for their tremendous support and understanding of the women’s league demands following the successful campaign of the Super Falcons at the FIFA Women’s World Cup Australia and New Zealand 2023.
- The NWFL AGA of 22 club representatives approved the minutes of the 2022/2023 AGA, and also adopted the financial reports for the 2022/2023 season.
- The AGA approved the expansion of the NWFL Premiership to 16 from 14, and Championship to 20 from 12 and the restructuring of the 10-team Nationwide League to the States League.
- The Congress confirmed the promotion of Dannaz Ladies, Sunshine Queens, Lakeside Queens and Ekiti Queens to the NWFL Premiership from the Championship and the relegation of two clubs – Ibom Angels and Osun Babes – to the NWFL Championship.
- The NWFL Annual General Assembly approved Wednesday 15th November, 2023 as the kick-off date for the 2023/2024 NWFL Premiership.
- The NWFL Annual General Assembly adopted a League format of 2 groups of A and B for the 2023/2024 NWFL Premiership season. Following the draw ceremony, the two groups are as follow:
WEEK ONE FIXTURES
Naija Ratels vs Nasarawa Amazons
Confluence Queens vs Dannaz Ladies
Abia Angels vs Adamawa Queens
Heartland Queens vs Royal Queens
Lakeside Queens vs Rivers Angels
Ekiti Queens vs Delta Queens
Sunshine Queens vs Bayelsa Queens
Edo Queens vs Robo Queens
- The AGA approved Ekiti Queens Vs Delta Queens as the Star Match of the opening day of the NWFL Premiership season scheduled to be played at the Oluyemi Kayode Stadium on Wednesday 15th November, 2023.
- The NWFL Annual General Assembly also agreed that only stadia that meet the required NWFL stadium facilities criteria shall be approved for the 2023/2024 Premiership season.
- The AGA appreciated the various marketing and fund raising initiatives and the newly launched Women Football Rising(c) campaign made by the Board of the Nigeria Women’s League, while praying for the success of these initiatives.
- The NWFL Annual General Assembly passed a vote of confidence on the board of the Nigeria Women’s Football League led by Nkechi Obi for their achievement so far and for their resolve to raise the standard of the League beginning from the new season.
Present at the NWFL AGA were: the President of the Nigeria Football Federation represented by Alhaji Ganiyu Majekodunmi – NFF board member, Barrister Seyi Akinwunmi, Barrister Paul Edeh – Benue FA chairman, Hajji Gafar- Lagos FA vice chairman; Victor Lutenco – IOM; Lanre Vigo – Plug Sports, Chijoke Okoli – Delphi Law, Rachel Aron – Sustainable Sports Africa Co-founder among other dignitaries.
Communiqué Drafting Committee:
-Mrs Tosin Ojo – Chairman
-Pastor Robin Apreala – Member
-Mr Abolore Abdulrahmon – Member
-Mr Abdul Sule – Member
-Mr. Samuel Ahmadu- Secretary
For media inquiries and further information, please contact: